Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Reaction To "The Bandwidth Of Consciousness"

In taking on this week's reading, "The Bandwidth Of Consciousness", I have to say that I'm a bit flummoxed on a number of counts.  Most notably, the fact that the author believes that the correlation between bit rates and human thought and bandwidth is even a reasonable one.  If I look at an extremely high resolution image (say, 100 MB), am I suddenly consuming data at that "bit rate"?  More imporantly, say the color depth of that image increases so that it's now 200 MB in size.  Am I now consuming even more data?  The prospect is silly, because the fact of the matter is that humans don't consume data as "bits", and an attempt to illustrate otherwise is a lost cause.  For another example, think of audio:  recorded audio has a bit rate that could potentially indicate "bandwidth", but then live audio has an infinite "bit rate".  If I listen to a live violin, is my bandwidth consumption infinite?  However, even more ridiculous is the concept as a whole:  the idea that you can take the input to the human nervous system and in any way quantify it is simply a principle that I don't see as viable.  While it's certainly interesting to see scientists attempting to pursue explanation in this manner, at the end of the day I can't really see that it yields very much value or insight to the reality of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment